About Me

I am currently 23 years old, Just recently finished my collegiate vaulting career, and am currently working on my post collegiate career of Pole vaulting. I have been jumping for 9 years now and I absolutely Love the sport. I think its the best way to fly :) I have plans of getting to the 2012 Olympic Trails. I am looking for sponsorships, donations, and or just support with my new athletic career. I am very excited to compete this 2012 season!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Patience, Determination, Desire

Hey Everyone!

So this last week was full of ups and downs. And those downs are more like frustrations. lol. So I felt that all last week I had some pretty good vault practices, and I felt pretty confident going in to my next meet at University of Michigan. Last week I was able to transition to a longer run or a 6 left. And it felt really good to be back on my 6 left. However my coach has told over and over and over again that I tend to swing out in to the pit rather then up. This being a combination of my step being inside as well as me swinging outwards in a attempt to get in to the mats.

So with this I thought I was changing my swing more upwards. But after the meet my cousin had taken a picture and posted to facebook, which I was tagged in. When I looked at it, it totally hit me! What coach was explaining and what I was feeling and doing.  That none of what I was doing was what I thought I was doing! Frustrating....absolutely! So seeing this made me very annoyed with my self and vaults and now I can't wait to fix this. I need to fix it in practice and make sure I am actively aware of fixing it during competition.

Any polevaulter can explain how frustrating this sport can be and how someone can explain to you how to change something in your vault, but for some reason you can't seem to get it. And it needs for something internally (either mental and/or physically) to 'click'. And by 'click'- the ability to fully understand/ability to replicate said something. And for each person they need something different for them to have that 'click'. And with this I feel that I fully understand now what my coach has been telling me and I feel that I have a better idea of how to fix said problem.

Soap box moment:
 
 One thing I really strive to do after each meet is to walk away from every competition knowing something that I need to change or work on. Something that I failed at doing while competing and strive to change it so that I can compete better next meet. I truly feel that if you want to fully succeed in something, then you have to always take away something negative from your event and work diligently on changing it. And to be honest about that; I really think this is what drives me the most, knowing that I am always doing something wrong in the vault and there is always something to change! lol. And because the polevault isn't an exact science, and it is always changing, pole vaulters are always changing their vaults, So my vault will never be perfect.... I will be at it for a really long time LOL.

So to step down off my soap box and to summarize, I did not compete as well as I would have liked, and have quite a bit to fix, and more then ever am I more motivated to fix my pole vault. And I really wanted to take the time to state that I am incredibly Grateful and extremely blessed to be where I am at in my life, and to have such amazing support and love from my friends and family! And to have such amazing support from my coaches, and trainers from Eastern Michigan University, and my wonderful Sponsor (Essx Pole vault poles!!). And I would like say good luck to the women Eagles as they (and I) head out to University of Indiana For the Indiana relays this weekend! I am really excited to compete this weekend at IU!

Jess :)

- Oh this past weekend I jumped 13'3 at U of M on a 6 lefts.
Also Kudos to Kiley for a new school record , PR, and taking down my facility record.
As well as Jen For a New PR. Keep it up ladies! Also to Jacob for a PR!

Please keep me posted on Great Performances! Good Luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment