About Me

I am currently 23 years old, Just recently finished my collegiate vaulting career, and am currently working on my post collegiate career of Pole vaulting. I have been jumping for 9 years now and I absolutely Love the sport. I think its the best way to fly :) I have plans of getting to the 2012 Olympic Trails. I am looking for sponsorships, donations, and or just support with my new athletic career. I am very excited to compete this 2012 season!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Moving forward...

Hey Everyone!

So update time: This weekend  was really frustrating for me. I was only able to get 12'9  (opening). There are a lot of things that went wrong during my competition and I just did not bring it together. And all weekend I was wracking my brain, on how I managed to fall apart. So with this, I am going to do, in  my terms, a type of  overhaul on my mindset and training.

This Weekend I have also realized that as I am getting older (don't yell at me for bring the age thing in to this) I am finding my self having to take longer to warm up, to focus on rehab/injury prevention, Longer cool down, good stretching, and yes, I will admit.... Eating healthier. Talking with a fellow aspiring athlete, It is the little things that will make or break an athlete. It will determine the caliber of an athlete. And I Will admit that I have been able to skate through my college and high school career of pole vaulting with minimal effort in these areas. So with this and my Overhaul, I am buckling down on these efforts (and Yes I will be trying to eat healthier too lol). Therefore I can Honestly look back and know that I have put forth every effort possible.


Today during practice I was doing wickets, which some of you may know are specifically spaced mini hurdles set up so that you can work on stride lengths and turnover (the set up just before the jump). And during this coach had an Epiphany on my run. And made me move my step up 5 1/2 feet lol.  Which was quite uncomfortable at first, but after several pole runs, we noticed that I was able to get a much better turn over, remove the 'pulling' myself to the box with my run, and not stride out. And with all of this I am able to get a much earlier plant, which will be a huge fix in my vaults, and will allow for a much more efficient transition. So with this I will try to incorporate this newer run tomorrow during practice. I know that it will be very uncomfortable at first and that it will take time to get used to, but "you wont succeed until you go outside your comfort zone."

So with that, It was great to see some good friends this weekend at the IU meet, it was awesome to watch The EMU Lady Eagles compete! And currently I am Looking forward to Hopefully competing at the Meyo invite this weekend! Ill Keep you posted! Thanks for all of your support!!

Jess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment